in Hong Kong - New Territories
In view of the furious opium smuggling, the Viceroy of Guangdong and Guangxi ordered the establishment of three customs stations in 1868 at Fat Tau Chau, Cheung Chau and Kap Shui Mun (Ma Wan) respectively to collect likin on opium trade. These stations ceased to operate in 1899 after the lease of the New Territories to Britain.
Fat Tau Chau Old Chinese Customs Station was discovered in 1962. The ruin is so regarded as a customs station after the discovery of a stone slab broken into four pieces with inscriptions: "By the Grace (of the Emperor), tributes are accepted from and customs exchange with Annam, which is far away (from China). Renovated by the Manager of the Customs Station".
Site of Chinese Customs Station was declared a monument in 1983.