Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
A A A
search site map contact us


Declared Monuments in Hong Kong


Declared Monuments Hong Kong Island Kowloon New Territories Outlying Islands
 

 

Declared Monuments in Hong Kong - Hong Kong Island

Flagstaff House (Cotton Tree Drive, Central)
Commenced in 1844 and completed in 1846, Flagstaff House is the oldest surviving Western building in Hong Kong. Originally known as Headquarters House as it accommodated Major-General George Charles D’Aguilar. The building was renamed Flagstaff House around 1932, but continued to be used as the office and residence of the Commander of the British Forces until 1978, with the exception of a short hiatus when it was occupied by Japanese admirals during the Japanese Occupation (1941-1945).

The two-storey building features a Greek Revival style adapted to local climatic conditions with deep verandahs. Renovated several times in its lifetime, it was restored as far as possible to its 19th century appearance after it was taken over by the former Urban Council in 1981 and converted into the Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware, which opened to the public in 1984.

 

 

Flagstaff House, Cotton Tree Drive, Central

address Cotton Tree Drive, Central (Plan)
Virtual Heritage Explorer
Opening Hours

Please browse the following website for the opening hours of Flagstaff Museum of Tea Ware:
http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Museum/Arts/en_US/web/ma/opening-hours.html

Figure : Transport
 
MTR
Admiralty Station
 

 

The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.