Kang Yung Study Hall is one of the few examples
of study halls built purely for teaching purposes.
Situated in the Hakka village of Sheung Wo Hang
in Sha Tau Kok, it was built by the Li clan in the
early Qing Dynasty. It began as a small private
school for 20 to 30 pupils and was rebuilt in the
Qianlong reign (1736-1795) and renamed Kang Yung
Study Hall. As it was constructed purely for teaching
purposes, the architecture is simple but functional.
It is a two-hall building with cocklofts, providing
classrooms and living quarters and comprises a rectangular
structure of green brick walls, with unfired mud-bricks
and rammed earth for internal partitions. It was
declared a monument in 1991 followed by a full restoration
undertaken by the government. It is now open to