Ma Wat Wai was built by the Tang clan during the Qianlong reign (1736-1795) of the Qing dynasty. It is one of the renowned Five Wais (walled villages) and Six Tsuens (villages) in the area of Lung Yeuk Tau, Fanling.
Ma Wat Wai was originally a walled village with brick walls constructed on the four sides and a watch tower on each corner. However, owing to past developments, most of the walls and all four corner towers were demolished, leaving only this very historic entrance tower and part of the enclosing walls. A red sandstone lintel is engraved with two Chinese characters, denoting a place of verdancy.
Full restoration of the Entrance Tower of Ma Wat Wai was undertaken in 1995 under the supervision of the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Architectural Services Department.