in Hong Kong - Kowloon
Kowloon Walled City was originally a garrison town
built by the Qing government in 1847 as a military
outpost occupied by several hundred soldiers to
reinforce the coastal defence of the region. The
City wall was built with large granite slabs and
incorporated six watch towers and four gateways.
The South Gate was officially recognised as the
"main gate". During the Japanese Occupation, the
wall was completely torn down to provide material
to extend Kai Tak Airport. In 1987, the government
decided to demolish and replace the Walled City
by a park. Archaeological investigations were conducted
in the course of demolition of the buildings. Archaeologists
and found that foundations of the original South
and East Gates were particularly well preserved.
The most important discovery was the two stone plaques
bearing the characters "South Gate" and "Kowloon
Walled City" of the original South Gate. Consequently,
the Government decided to preserve the remnants
of the South Gate in-situ for display to the public.
Remnants of the South Gate of Kowloon Walled City, Kowloon Walled City Park
Kowloon Walled City Park, Kowloon City (Plan)Virtual Heritage Explorer
6:30am – 11:00pm daily.