Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
A A A
search site map contact us


Declared Monuments in Hong Kong


Declared Monuments Hong Kong Island Kowloon New Territories Outlying Islands
 

 

Declared Monuments in Hong Kong - New Territories

[Floor Plan]
Cheung Shan Monastery, Ping Che, Fanling front
     
Situated in Miu Keng in Wo Keng Shan, Cheung Shan Monastery (also known as Cheung Shan Kwu Tsz or Cheung Shang Tsz) was formerly called Cheung Sang Nunnery, and was probably constructed in 1789. Since Miu Keng was the halfway point on the route to Shenzhen via Sha Tau Kok in the past, the temple was once a rest stop for travellers, providing services, including free tea.

Cheung Shan Monastery is a two-hall structure, with the rear hall approximately one metre higher than the front hall. The external and internal parts of the monastery are decorated with exquisite plaster mouldings. Inside the monastery, Buddha, Kwun Yum (Goddess of Mercy) and Tei Chong Wong (Guardian of the Earth) are worshipped.

A full restoration was undertaken in 1997 under the supervision of the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Architectural Services Department.
 
 

 

Cheung Shan Monastery

address Ping Che, Fanling (Plan)
Opening Hours

Monday to Sunday: 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 5pm
Closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of the Chinese New Year

Figure : Transport
 
Green Minibus (GMB)
56K Fanling Station - Luk Keng (Get off the cab at the entrance of Wo Keng Shan Road and walk for about 15 minutes to the Monastery)

 
Kowloon Motor Bus
78K Sheung Shui Bus Terminus - Sha Tau Kok (Get off the bus at Chun Yiu stop near the entrance of Wo Keng Shan Road and walk for about 15 minutes)

 



 

The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.