Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
search site map contact us

Declared Monuments in Hong Kong

Declared Monuments Hong Kong Island Kowloon New Territories Outlying Islands


Declared Monuments in Hong Kong - New Territories

Cheung Ancestral Hall (Shan Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long)
The Cheung Ancestral Hall, also known as Wah Fung Tong, was mainly built by Cheung Nam-yat, Cheung Shui-yat Cheung Chi-kwong and Cheung Yiu-fong of the 22nd generation of the Cheung clan of Shan Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long in the 20th year of Jiaqing reign (1815), Qing dynasty. The ancestral hall then served as a centre for communal gatherings and ancestral worship.

The Cheung clan attached great importance to the education of their children. A number of study halls were built in Shan Ha Tsuen for educating both boys and girls. The Cheung Ancestral Hall was also used as Wah Fung School between the 1930s and 1950s until the school was relocated to a new school building near Lam Hau Tsuen in 1958.

The Cheung Ancestral Hall is a traditional two-hall grey brick structure with an open courtyard in between. The two side chambers between the two halls were used as kitchen and storage space respectively. An altar is installed at the rear hall where ancestral tablets are placed. At the top shelf of the altar is the soul tablet of Cheung Gau-ling, a prime minister of the Tang dynasty, who is commonly recognized by the Cheung clan of both Shan Ha Tsuen and Dongguan as the pioneer ancestor. Combining splendour with solemnity, the altar is elaborately decorated with fine wood carvings of “The Eight Immortals”, which reflect the superb craftsmanship of the old days.

Major restoration of the Cheung Ancestral Hall was carried out in 1999 and was under the supervision of the Architectural Services Department and the Antiquities and Monuments Office.

The Cheung Ancestral Hall was declared a monument on 30 December 1999.



Cheung Ancestral Hall, Shan Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long

address Shan Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long (Plan)
Virtual Heritage Explorer
Opening Hours

9am - 1pm & 2pm - 5pm daily
Closed on Tuesdays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of the Chinese New Year

Figure : Transport
Green Minibus (GMB)
604 Yuen Long (Fung Cheung Road) - Shan Ha Tsuen


The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.