Declared Monuments in Hong Kong - New Territories
Built around 1910, the fortified structure at No. 55 Ha Pak Nai, Yuen Long is the only remaining building in Hong Kong with solid evidence of having direct connection with the revolutionary movement under the leadership of Dr. Sun Yat-sen (1866-1925) and his compatriots.
With its advantageous location overlooking Deep Bay and Shenzhen, No. 55 Ha Pak Nai was an operational base of the revolutionary movement. A place of refuge for the revolutionaries under the cover of a rice mill and sugar refinery was set up around 1910 at the site after the Mutiny of the New Army in Guangzhou. A fortified structure was also built at the site to keep watch on the area across Deep Bay, which was then under the administration of the Qing authority. The fortified structure was built by Mr. Tang Yam-nam (1846-1923), who was a core member of Hsing Chung Hui (Xing Zhong Hui, 興中會). The land adjacent to the fortified structure was mainly owned by Mr. Li Ki-tong (1873-1943) who joined Hsing Chung Hui in 1900 and was a son of the wealthy businessman Mr. Li Sing (1830-1900).
Architecturally, the fortified structure in Ha Pak Nai is essentially a functional structure for surveillance. It is a two-storey rectangular structure built of grey bricks, with a mezzanine floor between the first floor and the roof. A staircase bulkhead is found on the flat roof. Gun loops at various levels on the elevations can still be found. Internally, the plain rooms have screeded floors. To serve defence purposes, tapered and recessed window openings allowed a greater viewing angle from the inside of the building.
The Antiquities and Monuments Office has provided display facilities near the fortified structure to introduce the history of the monument.