Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
A A A
search site map contact us



Heritage Trails


 

Central and Western Heritage Trail


Central Route
ABC
[To Other Central and Western Heritage Trail ─
The Sheung Wan Route

The Western District & the Peak Route ]
 

Enlarge Map

Old Site of Hong Kong Cricket Club
Chater Garden
Originally part of the Murray Parade Ground, this site was converted to a sports and recreation area in 1851 when the Hong Kong Cricket Club was founded there with a clubhouse and cricket pitch. The club was relocated to Wong Nai Chung Gap in 1975 and the site was renovated as Chater Garden. (A commemorative plaque can be found at the Jackson Road entrance)

The garden contains a foundation stone bearing the inscription of: “THIS STONE WAS LAID BY H.R.H. THE DUKE OF CONNAUGHT, K.G., K. T., K.P., &c. ON THE 2nd APRIL, 1890 IN COMMEMORATION OF THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE PRAYA RECLAMATION WORKS SIR G. WILLIAM DES VOEUX K.C.M.G., GOVERNOR”. The stone was originally placed near the fence of the Cricket Club Pavilion. It was dismantled in 1975 and relocated to its present site in 1983.

Commemorative Plaque for 
the Old Site of Cricket Club
(c.1950s)

Commemorative Plaque for 
the Old Site of Cricket Club

foundation stone
Back to Map


Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme