Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
A A A
search site map contact us



Heritage Trails


 

Central and Western Heritage Trail


Central Route
ABC
[To Other Central and Western Heritage Trail ─
The Sheung Wan Route

The Western District & the Peak Route ]
 

Enlarge Map


Government House
Upper Albert Road
Government House was the office and residence of the Governor of Hong Kong during British rule. Completed in 1855, it was originally built in the Neo-classical style, but underwent a number of large-scale renovations. The last was undertaken in 1942 during the Japanese occupation when a central tower was built and the roofs modified to give a Japanese flavour. It was then used as the military headquarters by the Japanese until 1945. Government House is now the residence and office of the Chief Executive. It was declared a monument in 1995.

A stone inscribed with ‘GOVERNOR’S RESIDENCE’ stands in the small flower bed in front of the main entrance of Government House. Originally erected for Mountain Lodge, the summer residence of former governors of Hong Kong, the stone was relocated to its present site in 1980. A similar stone can also be found in Victoria Peak Garden.

* This building is not open to the public

Government House

Government House
Back to Map


Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme