Situated in Hang Mei Tsuen, the Hung Shing Temple is thought to have been built by the Tang Clan in Dinghai (1767) during the Qianlong reign of the Qing dynasty (1644-1911), which is the year inscribed on the board inside the temple. The existing structure was rebuilt in the 5th year of the Tongzhi reign (1866) of the Qing dynasty. Substantial renovation work was carried out in 1963. Hung Shing is widely worshipped, particularly by fishermen and people whose livelihoods depend largely on the sea. The Hung Shing Festival is held annually on the 13th day of the second lunar month.
The Hung Shing Temple is a simple building with two halls separated by an open courtyard. In most of the other temples in Hong Kong, open courtyards are roofed over to form incense towers. Providing better lighting and ventilation, the original courtyard design at the Hung Shing Temple has been well preserved and remains one of the temple’s distinguishing features.