Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
A A A
search site map contact us



Heritage Trails


 
AB [To Other Central and Western Heritage Trail ─
The Central Route The Western District and the Peak Route ]
 


Enlarge Map



Original Site of the Western Market (South Block)
(Sheung Wan Complex)

345 Queen’s Road Central

Initially a very shabby market, the Western Market came into business in 1844. It was leased from the government by the merchants in the Central and Sheung Wan districts. The South Block of the Western Market was built in 1858. Since the market could not meet with the demand of the increasing population in the district, the North Block was thus built in 1906. The South Block of the Western Market was later replaced by the Sheung Wan Complex in 1981.

Original Site of the Western Market
(c.1979)
Back to Map


Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme