Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]

Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area



Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands

New Territories

Tat Tak Communal Hall

The Tat Tak Communal Hall is the only surviving purpose-built communal hall in Hong Kong which served as both an assembly-cum-worshipping place for a joint village alliance, and a management office of a market place.

The establishment of Tat Tak Communal Hall in Ping Shan, Yuen Long was initiated by Tang Fan-yau (1812-1874), a member of the local gentry. The Communal Hall was completed in the seventh year of the Xianfeng reign (1857) of the Qing dynasty as an assembly place for the members of the Tat Tak Alliance, as well as the management office of Ping Shan Market. The Tat Tak Communal Hall is believed to be one of the meeting places at which the armed resistant against the British takeover of the New Territories in 1899 was organised.

As a venue for meeting, the Tat Tak Communal Hall was built with simple but functional design. The communal hall was originally a two-hall and three-bay structure. The Hall of Lonesome Consolation was added on the left side and the Hall of Bravery on the right side in the 5th year of the Tongzhi reign (1866). The building is mainly constructed of grey bricks with pitched roofs and granite blocks as lower course. Modern architectural elements in the communal hall, such as reinforced concrete structures on top of the grey-brick walls, are believed to have been added during later renovations carried out in the 20th century.

Address

Ping Shan, Yuen Long, New Territories (Plan)

Opening Hours
Monday, Wednesday to Sunday: 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 5pm
Closed on Tuesdays (except public holidays), Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of the Chinese New Year

Transport

MTR
Tin Shui Wai Station

MTR Light Rail
705 Tin Shui Wai Circular (Tin Shui Wai Station)
706 Tin Shui Wai Circular (Tin Shui Wai Station)
751 Yau Oi - Tin Yat (Tin Shui Wai Station)

MTR Light Rail Feeder Bus
K65 Yuen Long Station - Lau Fau Shan (via Ping Ha Road)

Kowloon Motor Bus
53 Yuen Long Station - Tsuen Wan West Station
69M Tin Shui Wai Town Centre - Kwai Fong Station
69X Tin Shui Estate - Jordan (To Wah Road)
269B Tin Shui Wai Town Centre - Hung Hom Ferry
269C Tin Shui Wai Town Centre - Kwun Tong Ferry
269D Tin Fu - Lek Yuen
276 Tin Tsz - Sheung Shui
276A Tin Heng Estate – Sheung Shui (Tai Ping )

Green Minibus (GMB)
33 Yuen Long (Tai Fung Street) - Ha Pak Nai (via Ping Ha Road)
34 Yuen Long (Tai Fung Street) - Lau Fau Shan (via Ping Ha Road)
35 Yuen Long (Tai Fung Street) - Sha Kiu (Tsim Bei Tsui)


The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.

Top

2004 © | Important notices | Privacy policy | Accessibility | Last revision date: 31 July, 2018

End of page