Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Exhibition Panels | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Fan Lau Fort (Fan Lau, Lantau Island)
Fan Lau Fort is located at the south-western tip of Lantau, overlooking a sea passage leading into the Pearl River Estuary. According to the Macau Gazetteer, the fort can be dated reliably to the 7th year of Yongzheng (1729), when it was recorded that two forts were constructed on Lantau. Fan Lau Fort was apparently one of them. Rectangular in shape, the fort measures 46m by 21m and its walls are built of semi-dressed stone and green bricks. It was believed that the fort was once occupied by pirates. However, after the surrender of pirates to the Qing government in 1810, the fort would have been retaken by government troops. It was probably abandoned around 1898 after the lease of the New Territories to Britain.
Initial restoration work was undertaken in early 1985. This was followed by a large scale restoration and repair project in 1990 which also provided for the clearance of the surrounding area.
Fan Lau Fort was declared a monument in 1981.
Fan Lau Fort, Lantau Island
Fan Lau, Lantau Island (Plan)
Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.
End of page