Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Exhibition Panels | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Tung Chung Battery (Tung Chung, Lantau Island)
According to the Guangdong Annals, two military forts were built in the 22nd year of Jiaqing reign (1817) at the foot of the 'Rocky Lion Hill' at Tung Chung, Lantau Island. In 1980, the remains of a battery were discovered on a hill slope facing the sea near Tung Chung Pier. After clearing the dense undergrowth, an L-shaped wall with a platform at the corner, probably for gun emplacements, was revealed. There is little doubt that this ruin is one of the two forts built in 1817 as mentioned in the Guangdong Annals. Although some restoration has been carried out, the battery remains to be studied in greater detail.
Tung Chung Battery was declared a monument in 1983.
Tung Chung Battery, Lantau Island
Tung Chung, Lantau Island (Plan)
Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.
End of page