Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Man Mo Temple (Fu Shin Street, Tai Po)
Man Mo Temple in Tai Po, which opened in 1892, was built with donations from the Tsat Yeuk Community to serve as a venue for meetings, arbitration and worship in Tai Wo Market Town. Man Cheong (God of Literature) and Mo Tai (God of Martial Arts), symbolising impartiality in handling all rural matters, are worshipped in the temple.
Man Mo Temple is a two-hall, one-courtyard structure. A pair of screen doors are placed in the front hall, flanked by two side rooms. The statues of Man Cheong and Mo Tai are enshrined in a beautifully crafted timber altar in the main bay of the rear hall. The temple is built of grey bricks and has traditional Chinese pitched roofs. The internal floors are paved with Canton tiles. Both the ridges and facade of the temple are decorated with fine plaster mouldings, and there is an exquisitely crafted wooden fascia board above the main entrance.
Large-scale restoration of the temple was undertaken by the Tai Po Tsat Yeuk Rural Committee in 1985, with technical advice and financial support provided by the Government.
Man Mo Temple
Fu Shin Street (Plan)
Please contact Tai Po Tsat Yeuk Rural
Committee at 2656 1223 for the opening hours
of Man Mo Temple, Tai Po.
Tai Wo Station
Kowloon Motor Bus
72 Cheung Sha Wan - Tai Wo Bus Terminus
72X Mong Kok (Park Avenue) - Tai Po Central
End of page