Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Exhibition Panels | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Hong Kong Island
Old Stanley Police Station (88 Stanley Village Road, Stanley)
Built in 1859, the Old Stanley Police Station is the oldest surviving police station in Hong Kong. In the early years after it was built, the British Army and the police force used it from time to time because of its strategic location as the most southerly outpost on Hong Kong Island. During the Japanese Occupation (1941-1945), the Japanese Gendarmerie occupied the station as its local headquarters, and a mortuary was built onto the building. After the war, the building resumed its original role as a police station until 1974. It was then taken over by the sub-offices of several government departments until 1991. It now houses a supermarket.
The Old Stanley Police Station is a simple two-storey structure. The facade of the building is dominated by colonnaded open verandahs that give the front elevation a Classical appearance. The dome-shaped ceiling of the original gunroom constructed in brick and fireplaces can still be seen in the building today.
Old Stanley Police Station was declared a monument in 1984.
Old Stanley Police Station
88 Stanley Village Road, Stanley (Plan)
Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.
End of page