Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Exhibition Panels | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Hong Kong Island
North and West Blocks of St. Joseph's College (7 Kennedy Road, Central)
The North Block of St. Joseph’s College was built in 1920, with construction of the West Block following in 1925. They are the only pre-war constructions within the school premises.
In 1875, six La Salle Brothers took over St. Saviour’s College (founded in 1864) and renamed it St. Joseph’s College. The College became a grant-in-aid school in 1880. Due to the increase in students, the College moved to Caine Road in 1876 and then to Glenealy below Robinson Road in 1881. The 1918 earthquake caused severe damage to the school premises, and the College moved to its present site at Kennedy Road, which had previously been home to the German Club (the Club Germania). The North Block was opened in 1920 to house classrooms. Comprising a chapel, a hall and laboratories, the West Block was opened in 1925. During the Japanese Occupation (1941-1945), the College was used by the Japanese as a hospital store.
The North Block is a four-storey building flanked by two towers at both ends and has verandahs on one side. The exterior facade facing Cotton Tree Drive is decorated with two-storey giant Ionic order columns. The elevation facing the internal open space of a multi-purpose ball court is surrounded by an open corridor comprising nine arched bays with a Serliana-styled pediment in the centre. The West Block is also a four-storey structure enclosed by solid walls and punched windows and surmounted by a turret.
North and West Blocks of St. Joseph’s College were declared monuments in 2000.
North and West Blocks of St. Joseph's College
7 Kennedy Road, Central (Plan)
Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.
End of page