Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Tang Ancestral Hall, Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long
The Tang Ancestral Hall, the Guesthouse and Yau Kung School form a unique historic building compound, representing both the clan history and the development of education in the area.
The Tang Ancestral Hall, also known as Yau Kung Tong, was constructed by the Tang clan of Ha Tsuen to commemorate their two founding ancestors, Tang Hung-chi and Tang Hung-wai, for establishing the village settlements in Ha Tsuen. According to a stone inscription placed in the middle hall, construction of the Tang Ancestral Hall began in 1749 and was completed in 1750. The ancestral hall came into use in 1751. The hall underwent two major renovations, one in the 17th year of the Daoguang reign (1837) and the other in the 9th year of the Guangxu reign (1883). Most of the historic building’s fabric and relics are still preserved in the hall. There are a number of honorary plaques hanging in the middle hall, indicating the glorious history of the Tangs in the Qing imperial government.
The Tang Ancestral Hall is one of the few surviving local examples of Qing vernacular architecture in the three-hall, two-courtyard layout. The historic architectural components and relics are well preserved. Nowadays, the Tang Ancestral Hall still serves as a venue for important religious and ceremonial events of the Tang clan in Ha Tsuen.
The Guesthouse and the Yau Kung School adjacent to the Tang Ancestral Hall are believed to have been built before 1924. The Guesthouse was originally built to provide accommodation for guests of the clan. An altar to Man Cheong (God of Literature) and Mo Kuk (God of Martial Arts) is still retained for sacrificial offerings. Yau Kung School was built to provide education for children in the area. Owing to an increase in the number of students, the Guesthouse and part of the ancestral hall were once used as classrooms and as dormitories for teachers.
Full restoration works of the Tang Ancestral Hall, Ha Tsuen were completed in 2011.
Tang Ancestral Hall
Address: Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long (Plan)
Monday, Wednesday to Sunday: 9am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm
Closed on Tuesdays (except public holidays), Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of the Chinese New Year
MTR Light Rail
K65 Lau Fau Shan - Yuen Long East
K75 Tin Shui Wai Station - Hung Shui Kiu (Circular)
End of page