Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]

Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area

Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands

New Territories

Tang Kwong U Ancestral Hall Shui Tau, Kam Tin, Yuen Long

The Tang Kwong U Ancestral Hall, also known as Loi Shing Tong, is situated in Shui Tau, Kam Tin. It was built in the 40th year of the Kangxi reign (1701) during the Qing dynasty by Tang Tseung Luk (alias Tang Chik Kin), the 21st generation ancestor of the Tang clan, in commemoration of the 17th generation ancestor of the clan, Tang Kwong-u, also known as Tang Chung-fung. According to a stone tablet in the ancestral hall, it underwent renovations with donations from Tang clansmen in the 47th year of the Qianlong reign (1782) during the Qing dynasty.

The hall is an example of Qing vernacular architecture with a two-hall, one-courtyard layout of three bays. There is a side chamber on both sides of the open courtyard. In the main bay of the rear hall is an ancestral altar for the worship of the Tang ancestors. The walls of the building are built of grey bricks, and the tiled pitched roof is a traditional timber structure. The unique plaster mouldings on the facade and the elaborate woodcarvings inside the building are still preserved.

In the past, the Tang Kwong U Ancestral Hall was converted into a shop and later a factory. Full restoration of the ancestral hall was completed in 1996 under the supervision of the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Architectural Services Department.


No. 32, Shui Tau, Kam Tin, Yuen Long, New Territories (Plan)

Opening Hours

Monday, Wednesday to Sunday:
9am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm

Closed on Tuesdays (except public holidays),
Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and
the first five days, 14th and 15th of the Chinese New Year


Kowloon Motor Bus
54 Yuen Long (West) – Sheung Tsuen (Circular)
64K Yuen Long (West) – Tai Po Market Station
77K Yuen Long (Fung Cheong Road) – Sheung Shui
251B Pat Heung Road – Sheung Tsuen (Circular)

Green Minibus (GMB)
601 Yuen Long (Fung Cheung Road) – Pak Wai Tsuen
602 Yuen Long (Fung Cheung Road) – Tai Kong Po

The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.


2004 © | Important notices | Privacy policy | Accessibility | Last revision date: 3 June, 2019

End of page