Tai Fu Tai was built in the 4th year of the Tongzhi reign (1865) of the Qing dynasty as the residence of Man Chung-luen. According to the genealogy of the Man clan, the Mans originated in Sichuan and migrated to Jiangxi and Guangdong during the Southern Song dynasty (1127-1279). The Mans began to settle in San Tin, Yuen Long in the 15th century. Man Chung-luen, the 21st generation ancestor of the clan, was bestowed the title of dafu (or tai fu, which means senior official).
Tai Fu Tai is a fine example of a traditional dwelling of the scholar-gentry class in southern China and one of the most beautifully embellished historic buildings in Hong Kong. The main building of Tai Fu Tai is a two-hall, three-bay structure with side chambers flanking the courtyard. There is a one-bay ancillary building on each side of the main building. Attached to the east side are a parlour and an internal courtyard, and on the west side, separated by a corridor, are a kitchen, a side chamber and a lavatory.
The full restoration of Tai Fu Tai was completed in 1988 under the supervision of the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Architectural Services Department.
Tai Fu Tai Mansion was declared a monument in 1987.