Yeung Hau Temple

Yeung Hau Temple at Tai O
The main ridge of the temple is richly decorated with Shiwan ceramic figures made in 1888.
Covered courtyard and the main hall
Exquisite Shiwan ceramic figurines at the parapet wall
Iron bell cast in the 38th year of Kangxi reign (1699) of the Qing dynasty

Virtual tour

Yeung Hau Temple is one of the oldest temples in Tai O. The temple was probably built in 1699 or earlier with reference to the oldest relic at the temple, an iron bell cast in the 38th year of Kangxi reign (1699) of the Qing dynasty dedicated to the deity of Hau Wong.

Yeung Hau Temple has long been patronised not only by fishing folks and fisheries merchants in Tai O, but also by merchants from the neighbouring places and the Qing soldiers along the coast. The temple is also popular for its strong association with the Tai O Dragon Boat Water Parade which is a traditional festive event with a history of over one hundred years and was inscribed onto the third national list of intangible cultural heritage of China in 2011.

The temple compound consists of the main temple building and side halls constructed of grey brick, granite and timber. The main temple building is a Qing vernacular two-hall-three-bay building, with a courtyard covered with a pavilion in-between the two halls. The recessed façade is supported by granite columns. Exquisite historic Shiwan ceramic figurines portraying Chinese folk stories can also be found on the roof ridge of the entrance hall and the two parapet walls of the covered courtyard.

Yeung Hau Temple was declared a monument in 2017.

Po Chue Tam, Tai O (Plan)
Please browse this website for the opening hours of Yeung Hau Temple, Tai O.
Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.
The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.