Declared Monuments in Hong Kong - Hong Kong Island
The flight of granite steps at the southern end of Duddell Street, Central was completed in 1883. It is characterised by heavily moulded newels, rails and balusters of Tuscan order. On either side of the steps are retaining walls built of granite blocks that support the steps and its balustrades above. The four gas lamps, which are mounted in pairs at either end of the steps, are two-light Rochester models supplied by the firm of William Sugg & Co., Limited in the United Kingdom, and were erected in the early twentieth century. The length of the gas lamp columns was shortened so that they could be mounted on the newels at either end of the steps. They were originally lit manually but are now operated automatically. Since the electrification of street lights in Hong Kong in 1967, these four gas lamps have remained the only surviving working examples of their type in the city.
The flight of stone steps at the southern end of Duddell Street and the four gas lamps standing on the balustrades on either side of the steps were declared a monument in 1979.
Video: Restoration of Duddell Street Steps and Gas Lamps
The steps and gas lamps were seriously damaged when Super Typhoon Mangkhut hit Hong Kong on 16 September 2018. The project team was determined to adhere strictly to the conservation principle of using original craftsmanship and materials, supplemented by advanced 3D scanning technology in order to restore the monument faithfully. The restoration was completed on 23 December 2019.