Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Exhibition Panels | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Hong Kong Island
The Exterior of Fung Ping Shan Building, The University of Hong Kong
Fung Ping Shan Building, originally named Fung Ping Shan Library, was constructed in 1931 as a library for the Chinese book collection of The University of Hong Kong, and was named after its donor, the late Mr. Fung Ping Shan, who was an eminent Chinese entrepreneur and enthusiastic promoter of Chinese education in Hong Kong. It was opened on 14 December 1932 by Sir William Peel, the then Governor of Hong Kong.
During the Second World War, the building was used as a repository of books for private individuals, schools and government organisations. In 1953, the Museum of Chinese Art and Archaeology was established with exhibitions being held in one of the rooms in Fung Ping Shan Library. In 1962, the book collections of Fung Ping Shan Library were transferred to the newly constructed Main Library of The University of Hong Kong. The original library building was converted into Fung Ping Shan Museum and was officially opened in 1964. It was renamed the University Museum and Art Gallery in 1994, before its new wing, the T.T. Tsui Building, was opened to the public in 1996. The museum is the oldest one of its kind in continuous operation in Hong Kong.
Fung Ping Shan Building was designed by Leigh and Orange. This three-storey, symmetrically constructed building has a fan-shaped floor plan with a rounded central section. The facade is mainly constructed of red brick and is elegantly decorated with giant pilasters, windows architraves, pediments and moulded cornice and parapet. The atrium features a high-level gallery supported on octagonal columns, which is lit by a prominent skylight on the roof.
The Exterior of Fung Ping Shan Building, The University of Hong Kong was declared a monument in 2018.Related Information
End of page