Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Exhibition Panels | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Site of Chinese Customs Station (Junk Island, Sai Kung)
In view of the furious opium smuggling, the Viceroy of Guangdong and Guangxi ordered the establishment of three customs stations in 1868 at Fat Tau Chau, Cheung Chau and Kap Shui Mun (Ma Wan) respectively to collect likin on opium trade. These stations ceased to operate in 1899 after the lease of the New Territories to Britain.
Fat Tau Chau Old Chinese Customs Station was discovered in 1962. The ruin is so regarded as a customs station after the discovery of a stone slab broken into four pieces with inscriptions: "By the Grace (of the Emperor), tributes are accepted from and customs exchange with Annam, which is far away (from China). Renovated by the Manager of the Customs Station".
Site of Chinese Customs Station was declared a monument in 1983.
Site of Chinese Customs Station, Junk Island, Sai Kung
Junk Island, Sai Kung (Plan)
Archaeological finds from the site are being kept at Hong Kong Museum of History, 100 Chatham Road South, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon.
End of page