Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Exhibition Panels | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Hong Kong Observatory (134A Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui)
Standing on a small hill in Kowloon, the Hong Kong Observatory was established in 1883 and designated as the Royal Observatory, Hong Kong in 1912. Built in the Victorian-Colonial style, it is a rectangular two-storey plastered brick structure characterised by arched windows and long verandas. The technical and operational units of the Observatory have been moved to new premises nearby, leaving the old building to house the office of the directorate and serve as the administration centre. Hong Kong Observatory resumed its original name when Hong Kong returned to Chinese sovereignty on 1 July 1997.
Hong Kong Observatory was declared a monument in 1984.
Hong Kong Observatory, Tsim Sha Tsui
134A Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui (Plan)
Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.
End of page