Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]

Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area

Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands

Hong Kong Island

The Exterior of the Old Supreme Court Building

Built on reclaimed land on a foundation comprising hundreds of piles made from Chinese fir trees, the Old Supreme Court Building was opened on 15 January 1912 by the then Governor, Sir Frederick Lugard. Supported by tall Ionic columns, the three-storey granite building is Neo-classical in style; its most outstanding feature is the pediment in the centre section, which is surmounted by a blindfolded statue of Justice personified in the form of the Greek goddess Themis. It housed the Legislative Council Chambers from 1985 to 2011 and, following renovation work, has accommodated the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal since 2015.

The Exterior of the Old Supreme Court was declared a monument in 1984.

The Exterior of the Old Supreme Court Building


8 Jackson Road Central (Plan)


Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.

The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.


2004 © | Important notices | Privacy policy | Accessibility | Last revision date: 28 September, 2020

End of page