Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]

Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Exhibition Panels | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area



Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands

New Territories

Tai Fu Tai Mansion (Wing Ping Tsuen, San Tin, Yuen Long)

Tai Fu Tai was built in the 4th year of the Tongzhi reign (1865) of the Qing dynasty as the residence of Man Chung-luen. According to the genealogy of the Man clan, the Mans originated in Sichuan and migrated to Jiangxi and Guangdong during the Southern Song dynasty (1127-1279). The Mans began to settle in San Tin, Yuen Long in the 15th century. Man Chung-luen, the 21st generation ancestor of the clan, was bestowed the title of dafu (or tai fu, which means senior official).

Tai Fu Tai is a fine example of a traditional dwelling of the scholar-gentry class in southern China and one of the most beautifully embellished historic buildings in Hong Kong. The main building of Tai Fu Tai is a two-hall, three-bay structure with side chambers flanking the courtyard. There is a one-bay ancillary building on each side of the main building. Attached to the east side are a parlour and an internal courtyard, and on the west side, separated by a corridor, are a kitchen, a side chamber and a lavatory.

The full restoration of Tai Fu Tai was completed in 1988 under the supervision of the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Architectural Services Department.

Tai Fu Tai Mansion was declared a monument in 1987.

 

Tai Fu Tai

Address

Wing Ping Tsuen, San Tin, Yuen Long (Plan)

Opening Hours

Monday to Sunday: 8am – 1pm and 2pm – 6pm
Closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of the Chinese New Year

Transport

Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.



The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.

Top

2004 © | Important notices | Privacy policy | Accessibility | Last revision date: 26 November, 2020

End of page