Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Old House, Wong Uk Village (Yuen Chau Kok, Sha Tin)
Located in the south-west corner of Yuen Chau Kok, Wong Uk Village was founded during the reign of Qianlong (1736-1795) in the Qing dynasty by the Wong clan from Xingning county in Guangdong. In the 19th century, the village became a major trading station for travellers and traders plying the route between Guangdong and Kowloon and prospered until the late 19th century. Most of the village’s old buildings fell into ruins and were later demolished when Tide Cove was reclaimed for the development of Sha Tin New Town. All that remains is the Old House, built around 1911 by Wong Tsing Wo, a 19th generation descendant. The old house is a two-storey green-brick structure with fine mural paintings and traditional decorations. It now stands as the reminder of the history of Yuen Chau Kok.
Old House, Wong Uk Village was declared a monument in 1989.
Old House, Wong Uk Village, Sha Tin
Yuen Chau Kok, Sha Tin (Plan)
Monday to Sunday: 9am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm
Closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of the Chinese New Year
Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.
The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.
End of page