Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Hong Kong Island
St. John's Cathedral (4-8 Garden Road, Central)
Built in 1849, St. John's Cathedral, the mother church and cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Hong Kong Island, is the oldest surviving Western Christian ecclesiastical building in Hong Kong.
The foundation stone of St. John's Cathedral was laid by the then Governor Sir John Davis on 11 March 1847, and construction was completed in 1849. Originally intended as a parish church also to be used by the British Army garrison, the cathedral was sited near Murray Barracks and the Parade Ground. It was extended in 1873, giving the building its cruciform shape. Li Hall was constructed between 1918 and 1921, replacing an earlier hall from the 19th century. During the Japanese Occupation (1941-1945), the Cathedral continued as a place of worship, but was later converted into a Japanese clubhouse, which caused damage to the building. It was reopened immediately after the war and gradually restored.
St. John's Cathedral is a grey-brick and stone structure in the Early English and Decorated Gothic style, which finds expression in lancet arches, ribbed course lines and geometrical bar window tracery. The former role of the Cathedral as a garrison church is indicated by the crenellated parapet on the tower and flanking turrets. The comparatively short tower with granite course binding, the use of window shutters and the adoption of opening trefoil and quatrefoil windows reflect the adaptation of Western architecture to Hong Kong's sub-tropical climate. The smooth external walls were resurfaced in roughcast in 1934.
St John's Cathedral was declared a monument in 1996.
St. John's Cathedral
4-8 Garden Road, Central (Plan)
Please browse the following website for the opening hours of the St. John's Cathedral:
Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.
End of page