Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]

Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Exhibition Panels | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area

Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands

New Territories

Cheung Ancestral Hall (Shan Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long)

The Cheung Ancestral Hall, also known as Wah Fung Tong, was built mainly by Cheung Nam-yat, Cheung Shui-yat, Cheung Chi-kwong and Cheung Yiu-fong, the 22nd generation ancestors of the Cheung clan of Shan Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long in the 20th year of the Jiaqing reign (1815) in the Qing dynasty. The ancestral hall served as a centre for communal gatherings and ancestral worship.

The Cheung clan attached great importance to the education of their young clansmen. A number of study halls were therefore built in Shan Ha Tsuen to educate both boys and girls. The Cheung Ancestral Hall was also used as Wah Fung School from the 1930s to the 1950s until the school was relocated to a new school building near Lam Hau Tsuen in 1958.

The Cheung Ancestral Hall is a traditional two-hall, grey-brick structure with an open courtyard between the halls. There are two side chambers between the two halls; one was used as a kitchen and one for storage. There is an altar in the rear hall, where the ancestral tablets are placed. On the top shelf of the altar is the soul tablet of Cheung Gau-ling, a prime minister in the Tang dynasty, who is commonly recognized by the Cheung clans of both Shan Ha Tsuen and Dongguan as their pioneer ancestor. Combining splendour with solemnity, the altar is elaborately decorated with fine wood carvings of “The Eight Immortals”, reflecting the superb craftsmanship of the olden days.

A major restoration of the Cheung Ancestral Hall was carried out in 1999 under the supervision of the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Architectural Services Department.

The Cheung Ancestral Hall was declared a monument in 1999.

Cheung Ancestral Hall


Shan Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long (Plan)

Opening Hours:

Monday, Wednesday to Sunday: 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 5pm
Closed on Tuesdays (except public holidays), Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of the Chinese New Year


Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.

The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.


2004 © | Important notices | Privacy policy | Accessibility | Last revision date: 15 February, 2021

End of page