Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | Contact Us | What's New | Archaeology | Historic Buildings | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services | Archaeological Display at Sung Wong Toi Station | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Exhibition Panels | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Online Exhibition > The Chek Lap Kok the Island and its history | Introduction to the Central Police Station Compound | Winning Entries of Hong Kong Heritage Awards (2004) Exhibition | Archaeological Discoveries in Sha Ha, Sai Kung
Modern Period (Early 19th Century -Early 1990's)
The inhabitants of the island practiced farming and quarrying. Quarrying started in early 19th century to mid 20th century, mainly at the north coast of the island. There were about 200 people living on the island in the 1950's. The number of inhabitants rose sharply in the 1960's. The population started to fall with the decline in agricultural and quarrying activities. There were only some 20 families remaining on the island when the government announced the plan for the construction of a new airport in the early 1990's.
The present Chek Lap Kok village and Tin Hau Temple in Tung Chung
End of page