Cheung Shan Monastery

Cheung Shan Monastery, Ping Che, Fanling front
Interior
Delicate eaves board and murals above the main entrance
Front elevation
Front elevation

Situated in Miu Keng in Wo Keng Shan, Cheung Shan Monastery (also known as Cheung Shan Kwu Tsz or Cheung Shang Tsz) was formerly called Cheung Sang Nunnery, and was probably constructed in 1789. Since Miu Keng was the halfway point on the route to Shenzhen via Sha Tau Kok in the past, the temple was once a rest stop for travellers, providing services, including free tea.

Cheung Shan Monastery is a two-hall structure, with the rear hall approximately one metre higher than the front hall. The external and internal parts of the monastery are decorated with exquisite plaster mouldings. Inside the monastery, Buddha, Kwun Yum (Goddess of Mercy) and Tei Chong Wong (Guardian of the Earth) are worshipped.

A full restoration was undertaken in 1997 under the supervision of the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Architectural Services Department.

Cheung Shan Monastery was declared a monument in 1998.

[Floor Plan]

Ping Che, Fanling (Plan)
Monday to Sunday: 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 5pm
Closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of Chinese New Year

Cheung Shan Monastery, Ping Che, Fanling is partially closed from 6 February to 25 April 2023. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.
Please search the routes of different transportation modes for pre-trip planning.
The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.
Back