Map of Lung Yeuk Tau Heritage Trail
Lo Wai
Shek Lo

Ma Wat Wai

Ma Wat Wai

Located northwest of Lo Wai, Ma Wat Wai was built by the Tang Clan during the Qianlong reign (1736 - 1795) of the Qing dynasty. At the entrance tower there is a red sandstone lintel engraved with the two characters “Wat Chung”, which denote the flourishing growth of spring onions. This evidence supports the supposition that the original name of the village was Wat Chung Wai.

The village was originally enclosed by walls, with a watchtower on each of the four corners. The two-storey main entrance was made of granite and grey bricks, and installed with two chained-ring iron gates. All the houses in the village are built along orderly rows, and a communal altar resides at the end of the main alley. Unfortunately, most of the enclosing walls and all four corner towers have been demolished.

The entrance tower of Ma Wat Wai was declared a monument in 1994.

To avoid disturbance to the residents, the interior is not open to the public.